We are now accepting submissions for our annual creative nonfiction contest judged by Rachel Arndt. The winner will be published online this spring/summer in phoebe 48.2. We encourage you to take a look at our previous contest winners. Only contest winners will win prize money, but we hope to publish some outstanding honorable mentions alongside our prize winner in phoebe 48.2. We look forward to reading your work. Submit online, and send us the best you’ve got!
- All entries should include a cover letter with the submission’s title and author’s contact information (name, mailing address, telephone number, and email address).
- Your name and contact information must not appear anywhere else on the manuscript.
- You may submit multiple entries, but must pay an entry fee for each new submission.
- Please submit your work in a Word Document or another similar processing system, if possible.
- We will not accept mailed submissions. Please use our online submission manager.
Creative Nonfiction Contest 2019
Judge: Rachel Arndt
DEADLINE: March 30th!
PRIZE: $500 and publication in phoebe 48.2 (online issue)
ENTRY FEE: $9
SUBMISSION SIZE: 1 piece per submission, up to 5,000 words.
Rachel Z. Arndt is the author of the essay collection Beyond Measure (Sarabande, 2018). She received an MFA in poetry from the Iowa Writers’ Workshop and an MFA in nonfiction from the Nonfiction Writing Program at the University of Iowa, where she was an Iowa Arts Fellow and nonfiction editor of the Iowa Review. Her writing has appeared in Popular Mechanics, Quartz, The Believer, Fast Company, and elsewhere. She lives in Chicago.