phoebe prides itself on supporting up-and-coming writers, whose style, form, voice, and subject matter demonstrate a vigorous appeal to the senses, intellect, and emotions of our readers. We choose our writers because we believe their work succeeds at its goals, whether its goals are to uphold or challenge literary tradition.
We insist on openness, which means we welcome both experimental and conventional prose and poetry, and we insist on being entertained, which means the work must capture and hold our attention, whether it be the potent language of a poem or the narrative mechanics of a short story. Above all, we seek to publish quality writing. Please review website publications, especially our latest online issue, for an idea of the caliber of writing we publish.
We produce a print issue in fall/winter and an online issue in spring/summer. We’re generally open for submissions from late summer to early fall for the print issue and from mid-winter to early spring for the online issue. The online issue is comprised of the winners (and possibly several honorable mentions) of our annual contests in fiction, poetry, and nonfiction.
phoebe: publishing original work since 1971.
Fiction, Poetry, and Nonfiction
- We only accept submissions via our online submission portal, Submittable, linked below.
- We do not consider previously published work.
- We do not have a strict word limit for prose; however, work over 4,000 words will need to be extraordinary.
- Regarding flash prose, we are happy to accept up to three pieces of less than 1,000 words each. Please paste these together in a single document and submit them via the standard fiction or nonfiction portal.
- Poetry submissions should contain 3-5 pieces.
- We welcome multiple submissions, but each should follow the guidelines above.
- We allow and encourage simultaneous submissions.
- We allow and encourage simultaneous submissions. If your submission is no longer available for publication, please use our online submission portal to withdraw it as soon as possible. If you need to withdraw a single poem or piece of flash prose, please add a note to your submission and email us at email@example.com.
- If you have not heard from us in 60 days, feel free to inquire about the status of your submission.
- If you’ve submitted to phoebe in the past, or if you’ve been published in our journal before, you are welcome to submit your work again.
- Contributors to the print editions receive two copies of the journal upon publication, along with our gratitude and respect.
You may notice that our Poetry and Fiction submission portals have mysteriously disappeared! So have our Poetry and Fiction Editors, actually. You've simply overwhelmed them with your brilliant work. Please give them a minute to give their current submissions the attention they deserve. We'll be in touch as soon as our Poetry and Fiction portals are reopened.
For contributors: You will be mailed two copies to the address that you provide. If you'd like any additional copies, please order from this portal.
Note: Because we are a graduate-run literary journal, during our winter (mid-December through January) and summer breaks (May through August), we will not be mailing out journals. When we return from break, we will send them to you. During school semesters (fall and spring), we'll be able to mail out your order within two weeks.
We use good ol' USPS Media Mail and will only be able to fulfill domestic orders.
For questions, or to inquire about back issues, email firstname.lastname@example.org